2012年5月21日星期一

Kara Laricks rises to ‘Fashion Star’ status


A few years ago, Kara Laricks quit her job as a fourth-grade teacher in the Shawnee Mission School District so she could pursue her dream of working in fashion.
That risk paid off in a huge way last week, when Laricks won the first season of NBC’s “Fashion Star,” a reality competition that challenged 14 designers to craft multiple ensembles on tight deadlines, then sell individual pieces to buyers representing some of the nation’s largest retailers.
By the time “Fashion Star” wrapped, Laricks had earned more than $6.6 million in contracts with H&M, Macy’s and Saks Fifth Avenue. She also made fans out of celebrity mentors Jessica Simpson, Nicole Richie and John Varvatos and familiarized the show’s 4 million viewers with her signature masculine-meets-feminine style.
“This is my dream come true,” Laricks said on the show.
We caught up with Laricks, who moved from Overland Park to New York City, the day after her big win.
Q. Congratulations! How crazy has your day been?
A. I feel like I’m on a cloud today. My feet are not even on the ground. We started with the “Today” show, and the beautiful (host) Natalie Morales was wearing my design for Saks Fifth Avenue. She just looked so stunning. And then we made our way over to H&M. So many people were there waiting to try things on. Then we went to Saks Fifth Avenue. There was a woman coming out of the fitting room in my trench coat and shorts, and she looked so foxy.
Was it hard for you to translate your edgy, androgynous style into something more commercial for customers who shop at H&M and Macy’s?
I have to say that over the course of the show, I never compromised my design aesthetic. When it was so warmly received by all three of the retailers, it gave me this hope that people are ready to take a risk when it comes to fashion. If anything, I’d love to give people the freedom to explore a little bit. It’s just fashion!
Were you comfortable with how you were portrayed on the show?
(Slightly embarrassed) Of course, I have dramatic facial expressions. What you see is what you get. You were watching a dream come true.
There definitely were some emotional moments. One that stands out is when you revealed on the show that, when you were a teacher, you never told your students that you were a lesbian.
That was one of my greatest fears, opening up about being closeted. I was really nervous about that. Now, after having done it, I’m saying ‘shame on me’ for ever thinking there would be some negative backlash. Everybody has been so wonderful — the outpouring of love and support and excitement, the focus on my design. It makes me so hopeful for our future. This is getting a little “Miss America” on you.
Well, it was really touching to see your partner and your family cheering you on in the finale. Your sister Lindsay owns Little Freshie, her new coffee shop in Kansas City (read more at inkkc.com).
I’m so proud of her, I can’t stand it.
What’s next for you?
I hope to hit the ground running working. This is something I’ve dreamt about so very long. Now is the time I get to do something. I’m so happy.

没有评论:

发表评论